Saturday, September 1, 2012

College Looms ... So Do Panic Attacks

Tomorrow kiddo heads off to college.

This is a huge undertaking for your typical 18 year old. There are so many things that can go wrong, so many stresses and challenges. I had a roommate who liked to lie around naked and masturbate. It didn't matter who was watching. My sister had a roommate who stole anything that wasn't locked up from food to clothes to toothpaste.

Now imagine you're a year younger than incoming freshmen, but you're already a sophomore. And imagine you've been educated in special ed classrooms for elementary school, by tutors and your mother for middle school, and dropped out one month into 10th grade and got your GED. Now imagine you have difficulty reading people's faces, understanding sarcasm, and in general struggle with social situations.

Do I think he can do it? By sheer force of will and perseverence, yes he can. Will he? I don't know. I've prepared him as best I can for situations he may run into. I've coached him on the best ways to deal with people who he has trouble with. But I can't hold his hand forever and he wants to get out there and give it a shot.

Cross your fingers everybody. My little bird is about to try to fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment