Monday, March 26, 2012

Aspergers - Opening A Dialogue

I've been thinking about this for a while. There are a lot of books about aspergers syndrome from doctor's points-of-view. There are books by parents that are about life on the spectrum. But there are very few books that relay helpful information to people who are struggling in a practical "mom's advice" kind of way.

The problem is that each kid is different - when they call it a spectrum, they're not kidding - and what works for some doesn't work for all. But wouldn't it be awesome if there was a book that defined issues kids/teens/adults with aspergers struggle with and lists of what has worked from the viewpoint of either parents or the people aspergers themselves?

My son's psychologist has been recommending that my son and I write this kind of book. We've been with him for close to 10 years and he's been an amazing help. He thinks my son has a very unique understanding of his own brain and how it differs from others. In fact, in the last year or so, the psychologist will sometimes present my son with a situation another patient is having and ask if he can explain how his brain would interpret it. My son always has an amazingly complex answer that helps.

I have a degree in communication, specializing in journalism. I write fiction for entertainment, but writing a book about our lives has always been sitting on the back burner in my mind. But I felt that another 'poor us' book wasn't anything I wanted to do. Helpful suggestions and tips, tho, that interests me.

But in order to do it properly, I'm going to need to get tips that work from other parents on a number of things. Because I can talk about sensory issues, theory of mind, proprioreception, medication, school issues, therapies, etc. and what worked for us. But in the end what works for us won't work for everyone. The more ideas I can convey, the better and more useful the book would be.

Is there anyone out there that would be willing to have their brain picked? If you were a parent, I would be looking for things like what worked for you and what didn't if your kid had difficulty learning to ride a bike; if your kid was having math difficulties; if your kid was sensitive to sound...that sort of thing.

And for people on the spectrum, I would be looking for most of the same things, but in addition, I would be looking for any insight into how your brain processes situations to help parents, teachers, doctors, etc to understand your struggles.

So....anyone out there want to chat?

No comments:

Post a Comment