Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Do the Right Thing and Live with the Consequences

Recently, a friend of my son approached us and asked for my help. The kid had only applied to one college and because our lovely local high school hadn't done the right thing, they were rejected. They desperately wanted to go to the same college as kiddo for a number of reasons. Unfortunately, the family doesn't have a lot of money and the parents didn't understand any of the paperwork - never mind they didn't want to do it. So with their permission, I agreed to help. It was the right thing to do. This kid deserves a chance.

This kid (forgive me for not using a gender, I just feel like it's important not to give out too much info) also asked for my help figuring out financial aid. I was more than happy to do it. I helped them plug in all the information to find out what money was available to them & helped them get all of their paperwork (other than HS transcript which must come from the HS) together to apply to the college. I went with them to drop it off and make sure the college didn't need anything else to make their decision.

Beyond that it was out of my control. I couldn't follow up because I'm not their parent. So I encouraged the kid to call the college. I don't know if they did that. I do know they didn't get into the college for this semester. And now, the kid is avoiding my son. And he doesn't know what to do.

Kiddo is good good friends with this kid - best friends. In fact, this kid is his ONLY friend. And now things between them are strained. The kid doesn't want to talk to him. I know its because they're probably discouraged. I hope that they don't blame him for not getting in, but I worry that they might. He's crushed. We knew this was a possibility if I helped, but how could I not help? If I'd said no, we'd still be in this boat. It was a no win.

I don't regret doing the right thing. But living with the consequences sucks.


No comments:

Post a Comment